In the course of my activism, I've occasionally been inspired to write
a few essays, open letters, and letters to the editor.
Letters to the Editor
- San Francisco Chronicle, on Scientology's
Narconon program in public schools (June 13, 2004)
- The Chron ran several terrific articles on Narconon - a Scientology
front group - teaching bad science and Scientology concepts disguised
as drug education. I wrote to protest the waste of valuable class time.
My letter ran on June 13, 2004.
- East Bay Express, on surviving abusive
groups (September 24, 2003)
- A response to a cover story on two young adults who had survived childhood
in a horribly abusive coercive group. It was published in the September
24, 2003 edition.
- Sacramento News & Review, on Scientology
teachings and pressure at eRepublic (August 30, 2001)
- After the Sacramento News & Review ran a cover story on Scientology
teachings at eRepublic, publishers of magazines for government employees
and educators, I wrote to correct a few small details and emphasize
the criminal convictions of top-ranking Scientologists who infiltrated
government offices. My letter ran in the August 30, 2001 edition.
- St. Petersburg Times, on Scientology PIs
trailing Jesse Prince and witness tampering (May 21, 2001)
- The SP Times ran a story on Scientology PIs, who trailed Jesse Prince
24 hours a day for four months straight. Since Jesse was a witness in
the Lisa McPherson wrongful death lawsuit, I thought this constituted
witness tampering. The Times did not print my letter.
- London Daily Telegraph, on Scientology,
celebrities, members, and the Purification Rundown (March 29, 2001)
- In response to an article on Scientology and celebrities, I wrote
to correct misinformation about the number of Scientologists worldwide
and the dangers of the Purification Rundown. My letter was published
on March 29, 2001.
- San Francisco Chronicle, on Jeff Quiros
and Battlefield Earth (June 6, 2000)
- San Francisco's Director of Special Affairs, Jeff Quiros, wrote in
response to an article about Scientology ties to the film Battlefield
Earth. In my letter, I noted that there are nowhere near 8 million
Scientologists, and that the film does have ties to Scientology through
licensing agreements. My letter was published on June 6, 2000.
- San Francisco Chronicle, on Scientology
and Germany (May 18, 2000)
- A letter I wrote about Philip Terzian's editorial on Germany and Scientology.
It was published on May 18, 2000.
- San Francisco Chronicle, on Scientology's
destructive side (May 27, 1999)
- After columnist Jon Carroll made an unflattering reference to Scientology,
San Francisco's Director of Special Affairs, Jeff Quiros, wrote in to
take him to task. I responded, describing lives Scientology has destroyed
in the Bay Area. My letter was not published.
- New Times LA, on Scientologists picketing
critics' homes (April 22, 1999)
- Their columnist, "The Finger," wrote about Scientologists
revenge-picketing their critics at home. My response was published on
April 22, 1999.
- San Jose Mercury News, on Investigative
Reports (January 31, 1999)
- A letter I wrote in response to a letter written by a Scientologist
about A&E's Investigative Reports. It was published in the
Merc on January 31, 1999.
- San Jose Business Journal, on Grady Ward
(October 12, 1998)
- A letter I wrote about an article on Ward's settlement with Scientology
in the massive copyright-infringement suit they brought against him.
It was published on October 12, 1998.
About Me, Scientology, and Scientologists
- Do you hate Scientology? or Scientologists?
or Scientology executives? (November 17, 1999)
- This is a post I made to alt.religion.scientology after one of the
regulars repeatedly implied that I hated Scientologists and Scientology.
In fact, I don't hate anyone.
- What Did Scientology Do to You?
(January 6, 1999)
- Every so often, a Scientologist finds this web site and writes to
me. This is my reply to one of them, explaining that Scientology hasn't
really done much of anything to me - my activism is born out of concern
- A Few Questions for Scientologists
Random Thoughts on Scientology
- Comments on the Keith Henson Sentencing
Memorandum (May 18, 2001)
- Keith Henson was found guilty of "interfering with a religion"
for peaceful pickets of Scientology's compound in Southern California.
(Jurors were lead to believe he made threats, but he did not.) I felt
many statements included in this memorandum were very misleading.
- Can Scientologists Read Dr. Seuss? (October
- Does the Scientology caution against reading past a "misunderstood
word" prohibit Scientologist from reading Dr. Seuss - or e. e.
- Is Scientology/FRL a Street Gang? (May
- According to California law, Scientology may fit the definition of
a street gang!
- Dr. Martin Luther King and Scientology
- A Comparison (April 23, 1999)
- One of my revenge-picketers, Craig, brought up the issue of race several
times while picketing my home. Poking around on the web one day, I came
across some of Dr. King's writings, and I was inspired to write this
open letter to Craig, comparing some of Dr. Kings ideas with some of
the tenets of Scientology.
- Scientology is like Smoking Cigarettes
(March 8, 1999)
- ... it provides no verifiable benefits to non-participants.
- A Flier I Distributed to My Neighbors
- ... in response to Scientology representatives picketing my home.